Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Savannah frontend2 upgrades

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Savannah frontend2 upgrades
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 15:54:46 -0600

Savannah Hackers,

The frontend2 system has been rebooted and is fully upgraded to
Trisquel 10.  This is the non-production system sibling to the current
production system frontend1 running the web UI.

I am planning on immediately proceeding forward by upgrading frontend2
to the upcoming Trisuel 11 release candidate.  With the plan that it
will become the production server when things are worked out there.

> However there is a small snag in the kernel upgrade on frontend2.
> This is the same snag as I saw in the frontend1 upgrade.  It's
> identical symptoms.  The upgrade installed the new Linux version 5
> kernel, up from version 4, but did not upgrade the symlinks needed to
> boot it.  Therefore I have not rebooted the system to the new kernel
> yet.

I rebooted frontend2 today during daylight hours Boston as a just in
case.  And did hit a snag.  But not the one I was expecting with the
kernel symlink issue above.  Nope!  Instead I hit a dejavu snag that I
had hit before on the other system upgrading frontend1!

I forgot to ensure that cryptsetup-initramfs was installed.  It's a
Recommends not a Depends.  Previously the functionality was in the
main cryptsetup package.  In this release they moved it out of that
package and into a new cryptsetup-initramfs one.  Drat!  I knew about
this from hitting it in July on frontend1 but missed it now with the
frontend2 upgrade.  And of course the system will not boot without
that initramfs setup.  It was stuck at the initramfs busybox prompt.

Many thanks to Ian for rescuing the system! :-)

Onward to Trisquel 11!

Bob