[Savannah-hackers-public] Running Savane Locally in 2023

From: Denys Nykula
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Running Savane Locally in 2023
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2023 18:45:50 +0200

Hello, I try https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/RunningSavaneLocally/
on a clean latest Debian web server installation. Some commands are
missing for it to work.

$ cd ~/savane/
$ ./bootstrap
autoreconf: export WARNINGS=
autoreconf: Entering directory '.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal -I autotools/m4
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Intltool
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gtkdoc
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Autoheader
autoreconf: running: automake --no-force
configure.ac:40: error: required file 'autotools/install-sh' not found
configure.ac:40:   'automake --add-missing' can install 'install-sh'
configure.ac:40: error: required file 'autotools/missing' not found
configure.ac:40:   'automake --add-missing' can install 'missing'
Makefile.am:38: warning: dir $@: non-POSIX variable name
Makefile.am:38: (probably a GNU make extension)
lib/Makefile.am:39: warning: dir $@: non-POSIX variable name
lib/Makefile.am:39: (probably a GNU make extension)
autoreconf: error: automake failed with exit status: 1

The error is gone when I run `autoreconf -fiv`, not `./bootstrap`
(`autoreconf -v`).

Then, in the MySQL REPL, `create database savane_demo;` is needed,
otherwise `ERROR 1049 (42000): Unknown database 'savane_demo'` happens
during the loading of the demo tables.

And, for http://127.0.0.1:7890/ to stop throwing a directory read
error, I need to run `mkdir -p etc/site-specific-content`.

Then I could finally start playing with the PHP front end. All these
are minor inconveniences but please look at updating this guide and/or
the scripts for more things to work out of the box.