[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of OFSET

From: hilaire
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of OFSET
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 02:08:11 +0000

If it already is an official GNU package, it will be approved shortly.
Otherwise it must be discussed on address@hidden for approval.

Hilaire Fernandes <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: OFSET

>From our manifesto:

\"OFSET is a not for profit French international association by the law of
1901. It
 has been set up in response to the slow development of free educational
software.
 It will promote all the possible forms of development and localisations needed
by
 the world wide education system. OFSET want to be very close to the
 philosophical aspirations of the FSF.\"

Again frrom our manifesto:

               \"3. The Charter

               The main objective of this organization is the development of a
coherent set of
               free education softwares and it\'s opened to everyone willing to
contribute. The
               needed competences are various as in any development project:
realization of
               conceptual model, programming, documenting the developed
softwares,
               translations of tutorials and programmers guides to help
teachers developing
               softwares under the GNU/Linux system, artistic skills (graphic
and sound), writing
               exercises for the developed softwares, testing software,
promoting our work,... We
               may also need competences in legal domains.

               To keep our work coherent with our philosophy we have set up a
development
               Charter. Its goals is to insure the developments:

                  1.follow the philosophy of the GNU project;
                  2.use only free software development tools;
                  3.are coherent and consistent, especially in the user
interface domain;
                  4.use - when appropriate - RAD tools. This point can
eventually - and
                    waiting for substitute - be in contradiction with item 3
but never with items 1
                    & 2.

               The first idea is to insure every one can contribute to a
development project of a
               free educational software, so we can\'t allow the use of non
free development
               tools. The next idea is to encourage the use of development
tools as Python +
               Gnome + Glade + Libglade so even not professional developers can
contribute in
               major development. Last, we want the developed softwares to be
coherent and
               consistent by using the best free technology: Gnome.

               You will find a copy of the charter at the OFSET home page. \"

We have already developped software as DrGenius, GCompris, DrGeo. Two of them
are already GNU software (DrGeo and DrGenius)