[Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU Website under CVS?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU Website under CVS?
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 22:15:43 -0700 (MST)

    Your changes made in gnudist:~www will definitely not be lost.  That
    directory is now a cvs working directory, checked out from the
    repository and periodically updated with "cvs update".  I'm not sure
    if changes there are automatically committed periodically, but it's
    probably a good idea for you to commit it yourself anyway.

If someone edits a page on www.gnu.org, and fails to check it in, the
result will be that there is text on our web site which (1) you can't
see in the repository and (2) you can't fix by commiting changes to
the repository.  That would be very bad, and it is very likely to
happen.  Remaining in a situation where this CAN happen asking for
trouble!

We should end this situation ASAP, by making it hard to edit the files
on www.gnu.org directly, and putting something in /etc/motd on
www.gnu.org telling people who to contact so as to be set up to do
things the new way.