[Savannah-hackers] "Unixname" problem not entirely fixed

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] "Unixname" problem not entirely fixed
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 15:14:07 -0600 (MDT)

>From https://savannah.gnu.org/register/projectname.php:

    Step 3: Project Name

    Project Name

    We now need some basic technical information for your project. There are
    two types of names that will be associated with this project.

    The "Full Name" is descriptive, has no real name restrictions (except a
    40 character limit), and can be changed. The "System Name" has several
    restrictions because it is used in so many places around the site. They
    are:

    Cannot match the system name of any other project
    Must be between 2 and 12 characters in length
    Can only contain characters, numbers, and dashes
    Must be a valid system username
    Cannot match one of our reserved domains
    System name will never change for this project

    Your system name is important, however, because it will be used for many
    things, including:

    Shell access to unixname.savannah.gnu.org
    Search engines throughout the site

1. Is there any reason nowadays for the limitation to 12 characters?

2. "unixname" still occurs in one place, which is now confusing.

3. It doesn't explain the purpose of the "system name".
In fact, after reading it, I don't know what that name is for.
People need to know what it's for, to make a good choice.
So could you please put in an explanation?