[Savannah-hackers] Mailing lists migration

From: loic
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:26:51 +0200

> Firstly, I have to say that it sucks ass that I cannot
> simply reply to the email notification I get to add a
> followup to your support database.  I used the savannah
> support feature instead of just email because I figured that
> would be easiest for you, but it is certainly more of a
> hassle for me.

        True. You should use address@hidden instead.  The
web interface is for newbies and is great for this but it should be
integrated with mail nevertheless.  I hope that will be done some day.

> Well, the mailing lists in question are handled by whoever
> is doing the main gnu.org list handling, so I thought you
> might know.   I will just email the appropriate admin
> addresses.
> Or better yet, I was hoping you might have some more general
> plan for taking care of attaching all of the existing public
> gnu.org mailing lists run by the main gnu.org mailer
> maintainers to
> the savannah projects you have created en masse for all the
> pre-savannah GNU projects.

        It is not the case. Mainly it requires a lot of manual work
and nobody is apparently eager to do this. I can imagine a way to semi
automaticaly identify the mailing lists from their name but that would
not help a lot. Finding out which mailing list is used by which project
is mainly a manual work that must be done by a man. If you can think of
a more automated way I'd be interested.

        I did the mass migration for pre-savannah project because the
structure of subversions.gnu.org CVS trees was clean enough to allow
automatic processing. There were few exceptions and I was able to deal
with them manualy. I have the distinct impression that in the case of
mailing lists the exception is the rule. I may be wrong.

        Cheers,