[Savannah-hackers] Re: DNS Refresh for gnu.org

From: Joel N. Weber II
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: DNS Refresh for gnu.org
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 23:18:22 -0400

           I'm thinking of changing the refresh time for gnu.org from 1 h to
   10 min saturday night. On sunday morning I'll switch the old Savannah to
   the new one and having a low refresh time will help keep the downtime
   small.

umm, if you mean the refresh time itself, it probably isn't worth
bothering with, since bind 8 does NOTIFY.

Except that NOTIFY seems to not interact properly with NAT, which
means that ns1.fsfeurope.org won't update immediately.  (One more
reason why you should try very hard to avoid running production
servers behind NAT.  Unless I'm confused.)

You might however want to frob the ttl.

Please do an ls -ltr in /var/log and then tail whatever log has
changed most recently right after you restart the nameserver, to make
sure it likes whatever TTL you pick.