[Savannah-hackers] Re: hosting an Emacs Lisp archive on Savannah

From: loic
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: hosting an Emacs Lisp archive on Savannah
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 03:48:21 +0200

Stephen Eglen writes:

 > I anticipate that a good model for the lisp archive is to go back to
 > the archive that existed until a couple of years ago.  This was a
 > simple archive that was mirrored by GNU project across several sites.
 > (see Emacs FAQ, questions 89--91).  So, perhaps in this sense it
 > doesn't need much fancy interaction from the people submitting new
 > code -- just some easy way for new people to get their code added to
 > the archive.  If Savannah is too complex for this, then perhaps we
 > should see if it could go back to the old format.

        I suggest the following thing, which is basically the modern
way of doing it the old way ;-)

        - create a Savannah project
        - push everthing you have in the CVS tree created for the project
        - handle the developer list yourself thru Savannah

        I suspect the old way you refer to was to have an ftp somewhere.
If nothing else Savannah will help you maintain the list of developers
who have write access to the archive. You won't have to wait for a lazy
sysadmin to fix that by hand. And the CVS tree will give you the history
of the archive which is certainly what you want.

        The CVS tree can easily be used (cvs export or checkout) to
mirror the files where people want them (mirrors or local disk,
read-write or read-only).

        I think that what Savannah is good for. All the other gizmos
are pretty useless, IMHO.

        Cheers,