Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah insanity

From: Joel N. Weber II
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah insanity
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:31:41 -0400

   Joel N. Weber II writes:
    > I tried actually running sf_cvs manually, and for whatever reason it
    > seemed to want to delete a bunch of users (3diff, tower, etc) who
    > shouldn't be deleted, and there was some other impressive brokenness.

           I'd be interested to have the output of sf_cvs. I never had
   this kind of behaviour but the mere idea of this happening is
   frightening.

It mostly fell out of my scrollback buffer.  here's what's left:

# Update the CVS password file
#
(
  cd .tmp/CVSROOT
  egrep -v
'^(gelios|tower|mhatta|serek|omeros|mckinlay|neel|chsong|lmiguel|csillag|pradene|pal|jkakar|bfteam|brett|joy|3diff|jasonc):'
 < passwd > passwd.1
  cp passwd.1 passwd
  rm -f passwd.[12]
  CVS_RSH=ssh cvs diff -c passwd
  CVS_RSH=ssh cvs commit -m 'sourceforge batch update' passwd
)

#
# Update xinetd.conf with all possible pserver roots
#

Note that I didn't bother to set CVS_RSH.  But I shouldn't have to,
since there ought to be no need to run remote CVS.  Also, ``I
shouldn't have to, becuase the script ought to be able to do that''

Also, in what case does it need to update xinetd.conf?

   P.S. Is this the documentation you read ?

yes.

   Must be root to run this script. Must export CVS_RSH=ssh. You are advised to
run it in /subversions/sourceforge/tmp, although it is not mandatory.

   It is run from the crontab and the output is logged in /var/log/sf_cvs.log.

   The sf_cvs script generates a shell script that will synchronize the system
files with the state of the Savannah database (sourceforge).

   This script only generates lines if something needs to be done. When the
resulting script is executed, another run must not display any action, unless
the database was modified in the meantime.

   It performs the following tasks, in this order.

   Add new projects
       /subversions/cvs/software/project and
/subversions/cvs/gnuweb/software/project directories are created.
   Update existing projects
       Fixes projects that do not have a
/subversions/cvs/gnuweb/software/project directory or a directory with wrong
permissions.
   Add missing users
       Create users (in /etc/passwd) that are bound to at least a project in
Savannah.
   Remove users
       Remove users not bound to any project in Savannah If user belongs to
groups not managed by Savannah, just redefine its group list.
   Update existing users
       Modify the system files if they are not in sync with the Savannah
database.
   Update the groups of anoncvs
       The list of groups (projects) to which anoncvs belongs is restricted by
the public/non public status of a project. The only exception is emacs that is
a public project without anonymous cvs access. When the policy changes the
sf_cvs script will have to be updated.
   Update the CVS password file
       Update the /subversions/cvs/CVSROOT/passwd file to reflect the passwd
and users bound to projects in Savannah.
   Update xinetd.conf
   Update the cvspserver/cvskserver with all possible pserver roots