[Savannah-hackers] Fwd: about linuxdoc CVS

From: Alessandro Rubini
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Fwd: about linuxdoc CVS
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:48:44 +0200

I asked the CVS maintainter for linuxdoc.org about multi-point commit.
This is the reply I got. I think it's better to keep communication
personal, by now, avoiding the plethora of Cc: we are using.

BTW: I subscribed to savannah-hackers as suggested by Loic. Can
address@hidden get dropped from this Cc: list?

> Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:06:41 +0200 (CEST)
> From: =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Tomasz_K=B3oczko?= <address@hidden>
> To: Alessandro Rubini <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: about linuxdoc CVS
>
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
>

>> Hello Tomasz.
>>
>> I recall from a long time ago (back then I was in the linuxdoc mailing
>> lists) that the LDP managed to set up two or three commit points for
>> their CVS tree.
>>
>> Is that right? If so, could you please be so kind as to tell me the
>> technical means to accomplish that?
>
> No we have only one point for write access and few for read only access.
> Few months ago we prepare some small extensions (awk script runed on
> server side on each commit) which allow realize more up to date passive
> servers using kind push technick (poll like can be implemented using rsync
> cvs tree from crontab).
> If You want known some details about this - no problem.
>
>> I'm interested in the issue in order to set up an European Savannah
>> computer for the GNU project.
>
> I can imagine how to try prepare this kind solution but newer try to
> realize this. CVS isn't so good for multi point write access. Another
> version control system which have this kind abilities which I know is
> aegis which is full transactional VC system but I haven't expirience on
> using aegis (I'm only read some documentationion for aegis).
>
> kloczek
> --
> *Ludzie nie maj± problemów, tylko sobie sami je stwarzaj±*
> Tomasz K³oczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: address@hidden

I asked for more info about the awk stuff, will keep you posted (I don't
include my reply here to avoid wasting bandwidth and brainwidht).

/alessandro