[Savannah-hackers] Re: Request about cvsweb

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Request about cvsweb
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 08:59:45 +0100

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 05:38:02AM +0900, OKUJI Yoshinori wrote:
> >  > Currently subversions.gnu.org uses Zeller's version of cvsweb, but it
> >  > lacks support for dynamic tarball creation. So wouldn't you like to
> >  > use knu's version instead? This is available from
> >  > <http://www.idaemons.org/~knu/cvsweb/>.
> >
> >     cvsweb was replaced by viewcvs and cvsweb should go away.
>
> Oh, sorry. I missed that. But viewcvs also lacks the support,
> anyway. I don't know what was the motivation for the replacement with
> viewcvs,
Somebody suggested that viewcvs was more robust than webcvs, because it is
written in python and it was a most modern implementation of webcvs.

After switching to viewcvs we've discovered a lot of bugs; I've patched
some of them, which is not an easy task since the python code of viewcvs is
difficult to handle, but we still have some important bugs remaining.

> is there any difficulty to go back to a kind of cvsweb,
None. The only objection that could be raised is that we just changed programs
recently and now we are changing again. But since we still have problems with
viewcvs, I'll take a look at knu's webcvs (I personally find it easier to
work with perl than with python).

> or is
> there a plan to add the support into viewcvs?
I don't think so. I've been in touch with the author of viewcvs and I think he
still have more important changes to make and not much time to do it.

Jaime