Re: [Savannah-hackers] ide errors

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] ide errors
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 07:28:47 +0200

Paul Visscher writes:
 > I noticed that it seems to be hanging at the end of a commit to
 > cvs - after cvs says "done" it seems to hang for a while and then
 > exits. I logged into savannah to see if maybe the load was high or
 > something. It wasn't, but dmesg showed a bunch of errors on hdc and
 > hdd.
 >
 > I saved the output of dmesg in /home/paulv/20010628-ide_errors.

        I changed the IDE disk parameters and did the experiments, on
hdc mostly, causing a few controler reset on the second IDE bus. I did
it on hdc because it's not in use (there is no hdd). When I found the
best disk parameters I applied them on hda which is the only disk in
use at present.

        http://savannah.gnu.org/savannah.html#IDE%20Disk%20tweaking

        Thanks for reporting this anyway, it's good to see that errors
do not go unnoticed ;-)

        Regarding the delay, it happens because of the sync with
gnudist.  If the connection between subversions and gnudist is slow
for some reason, it may take a while. Note, however, that it only
happens *after* the commit.  Interrupting won't lose anything and the
nightly script on gnudist will catch up if the sync cannot be done for
some reason.

        I hope this helps clarifying the situation,