[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GNU bridge

From: offby1
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GNU bridge
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 20:30:20 -0500

Eric Hanchrow <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: GNU bridge
System name: bridge
This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

My project lets people play a game of contract bridge against the computer.  It
exists, but is in a very primitive state -- the only UI is line-oriented text
mode, and the playing and bidding algorithms are as primitive as they can be
while still obeying the laws of contract bridge.

The source code probably follows the GNU coding standards fairly closely, but I
have not \"audited\" it (I plan to soon).  It does, in any case, use automake
and autoconf, and compiles and runs on a half-dozen Unix-like systems, and
Windows.  It is written in C++.

My goals for putting the project on savannah are to allow the project to be
accessible by people other than me, without having to allow those people login
access to my home computer.  I\'d also appreciate regular backups, although I
don\'t know if subversions provides that service.

I don\'t have a copy of the sources on a web site at the moment, but can easily
post them to one if anybody wants to take a look.

My long-term goals are to get other developers to help me implement a decent
UI, and decent algorithms for playing and bidding.  And it\'d be nice if people
could play other humans on the network, instead of the computer.

For what it\'s worth, I started the process of registering a new project on
SourceForge for this program, but have not completed that process; if the
process does complete, I certainly will not have the program on both
SourceForge and savannah.  I will probably make the choice based on which
service seems more convenient to me.