[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GmOne

From: rae
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GmOne
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:39:18 -0500

Reid Ellis <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: GmOne
System name: gmone

My goal is to write a cross-platform 3D authoring application. The first step
will be to have a straightforward modeling environment that can be used to
create and render 3D designs. The second step will be to make this environment
multi-user (client/server), so that two or more people can work on the design
simultaneously and interactively. The third step would be to write a client
application more geared toward browsing and manipulation rather than authoring
[think Quake-like]. The fourth step will be to put a more powerful back end on
the server [note that this is a part of the design from day one]. The fifth and
later steps will depend on the uses people come up with after the third step is
underway.

I am a former member of the Maya team at Alias/Wavefront and feel I have the
technical expertise to design the infrastructure for this project. I have
sufficient skills in 3D to get the basic tools working [primitives, curves,
NURB surfaces], but later I will need help in the higher-level tools
[filleting, lofting, bevelling, etc].

Note that this project is being developed completely under the GPL, and in fact
the name of the project has always implied close ties with the goals of the
Free Software Foundation. \"GmOne\" stands for \"Gnu Modeller One\". Will there
be a GmTwo? I have no idea. :-)

Here are some URL\'s:

        http://sourceforge.net/projects/gmone/
My current project home on SourceForge.

        http://gmone.org/
My home page for the project, although right now it is mostly a blog about the
project.

        http://gmone.org/doc/design-01.html
Initial design document

        http://gmone.org/doc/design-02.html
A later small addendum [which should be re-labelled as such!]