Re: [Savannah-hackers] Introduction and notice of updates/changes

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Introduction and notice of updates/changes
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 13:48:41 +0100

Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r) writes:
 > I am the leader of the phpGroupWare project which has recently migrated
 > from SourceForge to Savannah and I am working with loic on the next
 > generation of Savannah which will be based on phpGroupWare and its API.
 > I am working on the phpGW code to handle the needs of a site like
 > Savannah and we are moving along nicely.

        Welcome aboard, it's a pleasure.

 > I know this is a custom deal and was given permission to do this from
 > loic.

        The truth is anyone can do custom changes as long as it does not
break anything ;-) The real pain with custom changes is that they all
risk to be lost because someone forget they were made at a later time.
Hence the importance of documenting them properly. Additionally it makes
it more difficult to write generic scripts to handle global tasks. For
that matter we will rely on you to make sure the system scripts won't
discard your specific changes. At present they don't and therefore your
specific change won't be subject to random vanishing. I'd advise you to
keep an eye on the changes made to the Savannah backend scripts to make
sure it stays this way ;-)

 > 2) I added some documentation to the www/savannah.html file and added a
 > syncmail file. The documentation and file are for having emails sent
 > when commits happen to the cvs tree of a project. We use this with great
 > success in the phpGroupWare tree and wanted to make it availible to all
 > projects. I have already commited this to the savannah cvs, and you are
 > welcome to review the addition and let me know if I have done anything
 > wrong. I dont know when the site will get these updates so welcome some
 > info on this. Note: I have tried to add my documentation to
 > doc/savannah.texi file, but I dont think I understand the texi format
 > enough. It looks simple, but I am sure I will dork it up if I mess with
 > it, so if someone else can merge over my changes I would greatly
 > appreciate it. I will then examine the changes and learn from them.

        I did the integration. Note that within the doc directory a
simple ./configure + make savannah.html will format the file and point
you to errors. Please check at
http://savannah.gnu.org/savannah.html#Getting%20email%20from%20CVS.

 > Right now I dont have anything in specific in mind to do next other than
 > to help support savannah as much as I can. I get pretty busy and
 > phpGroupWare take a considerable amount of time to lead and develop, but
 > will do what I can for Savannah.

        This documentation is already a valuable addition, IMHO.

        Cheers,