Re: [Savannah-hackers] Aspell and Savannah

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Aspell and Savannah
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 12:50:54 +0100

Kevin Atkinson writes:
 > On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Loic Dachary wrote:
 >
 > >    Could you briefly tell me what are the 90% you agree with and
 > > the 10% you disagree with ? I guess Free Software and GNU/Linux are part
 > > of them but probably not all of them.
 >
 > I have absolutely nothing against the terms.  I just really don't want to
 > have to write GNU/Linux every time I refer to that particular operation
 > system.  To me GNU/Linux is a form of political correctness which I also
 > don't really agree with and find really annoying.
 >
 > All the areas in which I disagree with the FSF or minor things like that.

        In my understanding, political correctness is used to refer to
terms used for no other purpose than pleasing some people. Since I consider
that using GNU/Linux has a deep impact that is way more important than
giving credit to the GNU project or pleasing people involved in the GNU
project, using or not using GNU/Linux is important to me.

        Maybe I was not clear enough when I explained why I think that
using GNU/Linux spreads the ideals of Free Software. Or maybe it is
the case that you disagree with this specific point ?

         I must admit that I'd be happy to use a simpler name, be it
GNU, Linux, Hurd or whatever. But I would feel guilty to jeopardize
the ideals of Free Software just because it's a little more
inconvenient to me. I do agree with the Free Software movement that
using GNU/Linux is not a minor issue but a very important one, because
it serves a purpose and is not a mere name substitution.

        Could you please tell me if I was clear enough ? I'd like to
make the point that I'm not using GNU/Linux or Free Software instead
of other names because I want to be politically correct.

        Cheers,