Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: virtual hostnames for gnu project

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: virtual hostnames for gnu projects]
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 22:23:43 +0000

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 10:51:51PM -0500, Ron Peterson wrote:
> > How should project html files construct URL's?  Say project FOO has
> > FOO.html, and FOO-credits.html.  How should FOO.html refer to
> > FOO-credits.html?  A relative URL would work, in both cases, but that
> > is not the current gnu.org convention.  And how should FOO.html refer to
> > BAR.html, belonging to project BAR?

Hi,
I've never understood the current policy of using absolute links in
www.gnu.org pages.

I think relative links work much better; they will work in mirrors even if the
mirror is at some url such as http://my.site/mirror/www.gnu.org/ and they will
also work in a CD with a snapshot of www.gnu.org pages. The current method
will not work in either one of those two cases. And will not let us create
virtual servers for different projects.

I prefer to look at my local CVS copy of www.gnu.org when I have to find out
something very quickly (our network is very slow), but with the current method
the links fail.  Are we rejecting relative links just because someone finds
"../link" ugly in the source code? the dots will not be shown in the
browser and only the authors will be aware of them.

Regards,
Jaime