[Savannah-hackers] Re: GIF files in gsweb

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: GIF files in gsweb
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 22:26:44 -0700 (MST)

    FSF never prohibiting the use of gif before:

We have always had the policy that there should be no GIFs in GNU web
pages and programs.  However, it was only recently that someone
noticed there were GIFs here.  It would have been much better to fix
the problem before, but nobody noticed it before.

    BTW, I'm not always happy with FSF things: FSF 'ask' we don't use GIF. OK
but 'they' don't provide a
    working alternative

There are several alternatives that work for most purposes--JPG and
PNG.  If something special is needed GNUstep, we will try to provide
it--"we" in this case being the GNUstep developers, since they are the
only people in the GNU Project who would know how to implement a new
feature in GNUstep.  Adam Fedor is cc'd here; what feature do you
need?

But in the mean time, please don't use GIFs.