Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Programming Ruby

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Programming Ruby in Deutsch
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:48:12 +0000

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 10:15:57AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:

> Jürgen Katins <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: other
> Other License: I plan to put this translation under Open Publication License
> V1.0.
> Look at  http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/

> I prefere this license because it is a license for publications and not for
> software and because I don\'t know any other publication license and because
> the original book in under the same license.

There are some other free documentation licenses; see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html. As explained in that page,
since the publisher of the original book has not used used any of the special
options, you can distribute the German translation under the Free
Documentation License (FDL) which is considered a better choice.

> Package: Programming Ruby in Deutsch
> System name: progrubyger

> My project translates the book \"Programming Ruby\" by Dave Thomas and
> Andrew Hunt to german language. I hope parts of it will become a part of the
> internationalisation branch of freeride project which is hosted also at
> savannah.

> After the explanation I say: It already exists and you can see it at
> http://home.vr-web.de/juergen.katins/ruby/

> I don\'t need any cvs or other stuff I don\'t understand anyway. I want to
> relocate my website and I need a simple (!) way to upload it. At the moment
> I use http-upload (thats fine) and I don\'t want to be bothered with any
> command line utilities with huge lists of parameters and even more options.

Please notice that this site is for development of projects and not just for
webpage hosting; you should make and effort to use CVS to allow other Savannah
users to collaborate with your project. Even if you don't use CVS, you
would have to use rsync to upload files (we do not have http-upload support).

> At sourceforge I was confronted with a user rejecting command line program
> named pscp.exe which did not work either.
Our primary goal is to help users of completely free systems (GNU/Linux) if
you work in a Windows platform, we might not be able to help you using
programs that we cannot run.

>I hope I can host my project at savannahs. But don\'t be sorry if you can
>not approve my project. Then I will try to get it running on sourceforge (the
>one with the lousy upload procedures).

If you're willing to use the FDL license and to put up with the tools we
currently use (rsync/cvs), please register your project again choosing the FDL
license.

Regards,
Jaime