Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Moss Project

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Moss Project
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 19:36:34 +0000

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 05:57:07AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:

> Alexander Feder <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: Moss Project
> System name: moss
> This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

> This Project does not name a piece of software but represents the
> development of three different projects that share a common basis and
> together form a higher goal. That is the 3D User Environment \"3Dsia\", the
> Object Database \"ODB\" and the Remote Method Call Framework \"RMC\" which
> can be compared to Corba but is rather different in its way of work and its
> mplementation. We decided to use a single project on savannah rather than
> three separated as we believe it will be easier to manage the CVS problems a
> shared code-basis brings.

>  We are moving from $orceforge to Savannah. The development pages can be
> found at threedsia.sourceforge.net, www.morgner.com/odb
> and www.morgner.com/rmc

Hi,
You are not applying the GPL as suggested in it (see also
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html) since you've only kept the first
paragraph of the 3 that you should include in the copying permission notice:

# FOO is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
# as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
# of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA.

You should also replace the copy of the GPL that you have in "odb" by the
official GPL (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt), since it
is an old version (the address of the FSF is wrong) and it's missing some
paragraphs at the end.

The decision to keep the 3 projects separated or divided is only yours, but I
wonder whether some people might want to use only odb or rmc.  When you have
made those changes you can register your project (or projects?) again.

Cheers,
Jaime