Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of jlWindows-C++ jav

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of jlWindows-C++ javastyle GUIAPI
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 16:52:45 +0000

The way you propose the project, it cannot be hosted in Savannah.
You would have to develop the GNU/Linux port first, and then the Windows port.

The idea is that at no point should free-only users be at disadvantage
compared to users of proprietary software (we don't want to encourage people
to start using proprietary software). Your project should always work equally
well in free systems as in any other versions you provide.

Also, you should make sure that your project will not depend on
any proprietary software. In particular, since you use Java, your
project should not depend on Java 1.3/Swing which are proprietary; it should
work with one of the free implementations of Java (see:
http://www.gnu.org/software/java).

If you are willing to accept these conditions, you can register your project
again, stating that it will be developped using only free implementations of
Java and it will always work in GNU/Linux better or as good as in non-free
platforms.

Regards,
Jaime