Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Yard Radius Daemo

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Yard Radius Daemon
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 15:36:46 +0100

        Hi,

        I'm a bit lost with the licensing status of Yard and I need some
clarification. The Modified BSD license that you picked is as follows (I strip
the warranty parts):

http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/COPYRIGHT2.html#5

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

   1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
   2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
   3. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products
derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

        However, the license of Yard is a combinations of

LICENSE (added obligation to advertise changes to the author that
makes it incompatible with the GNU GPL) :

   1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
      notice, and the entire permission notice in its entirety,
      including the disclaimer of warranties.
   2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
      documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
   3. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote
      products derived from this software without specific prior
      written permission.
   4. Any modification to the program, as well as redistribution in binary
      or derived source form must be advertised to the author.

        and

LICENSE.LUCENT (essentially the original BSD license that is incompatible
with the GNU GPL):

   * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

   * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
     copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
     disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
     with the distribution.

   * All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
     software must display the following acknowledgement:

          This product includes software developed by Lucent
          Technologies and its contributors.

   * Neither the name of the copyright holder nor the names of its
     contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
     from this software without specific prior written permission.

        Could you please sort this out for me and submit your project
again ?

        Thanks in advance,