Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Lien Project Gute

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Lien Project Gutenberg Etext Reader
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 16:56:26 +0100

mathieu writes:
 > As Jaime advised me recently, I've edited
 > http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/savannah/savannah/www/register/license.php?rev=1.12&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
 >
 > and add
 >
 > <P>In order, to release your project, <B>you must write copyright
 > notices and copying permission statements at the beginning of every
 > source code file</B>, and include a copy of the plain text version of
 > the license.

        s/must/should/ this is not mandatory, it is more efficient.
We ask people to do the change before accepting their projects since
it is important. However, if someone insists on putting a minimalist
license notice, we may accept the project anyway. This did not happen
so far but it is a possibility. Hence, the must is too strong.

        Also note that there are two different things :

        - copyright notices
        - license notices

        The copyright notice is Copyrgith year author where the license
notice is either the license itself (in the case of modified bsd for
instance) or a pointer that says where the licensing terms can be found
(in the case of the GNU GPL for instance).

 > When will this modification will be on the www ?

        Please refer to savannah.gnu.org/savannah.html for instructions
on how to do this.

 > It maybe could attenuate the frequency of this problem. Maybe we should
 > also add a link to       "How to Apply These Terms to Your New
 > Programs" in the same page ?

        This is a good idea in principle. Since we accept a number of
license and that they have different rules, it should be stated clearly
that it's for the GNU GPL (most of the projects anyways).

        Cheers,