[Savannah-hackers] Re: address@hidden: Re: Mismatched accounts on savann

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: address@hidden: Re: Mismatched accounts on savannah/fencepost]
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 11:31:40 +0100

Mark H. Weaver writes:
 > More strange news from Simon Cozens...
 >
 >      Mark
 >

 > Simon Cozens <address@hidden> wrote:
 > > > So, to summarize, it seems that Simon Cozens registered address@hidden
 > > > successfully, using Simon Marshall's Kerberos password, and Simon
 > > > Marshall can log into that account as well, using his old password.
 > >
 > > Impressive, since I haven't done anything on latex-manual for years,
 > > and even then, it was before savannah existed...

        That explains everything.

        When savannah was created, subversions.gnu.org CVS accounts were used
to reserve Savannah account names. Although Simon Cozens never used Savannah,
he once had a valid CVS account on subversions.gnu.org named "simon".

        Unfortunately, the matching kerberos account "simon" was
granted to Simon Marshalls (before or after the CVS account was
created), hence creating the conflict. This problem may also exist
with other ancient CVS account names since I assumed that there was no
conflict at the time I bootstrapped the authentification database of
Savannah.

        My guess is that Simon Cozens never used his Savannah account
(he would have failed to since he does not know the kerberos password
of Simon Marshal ;-). The real problem is that Simon Marshall was
granted the right to act in the name of Simon Cozens on latex-manual.

        In order to remedy to this situation I removed the simon
account from the list of latex-manual developers, changed the name for
account simon to Simon Marshall and set the email address to
address@hidden

        Now this leaves Simon Cozens without his (presumably unused) Savannah
account. He is free to create another one, under a different name ;-)

        If what I did is not agreeable to one of you, just say so and
I'll do what is needed to fix this unfortunate mistake. Please excuse
me for the trouble generated and the waste of your time.

        Cheers,