[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Zipdy

From: vab
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Zipdy
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:58:21 -0500

V. Alex Brennen <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Zipdy
System name: zipdy

Zipdy, is a series of GPL\'d scripts and C programs which stores
zip codes along with longitude and latitude points in the
postgres RDBMS.  Zipdy allows organizations and companies to
build web sites that includes features such as \"return all
records in the database within X miles of y zip code.\"  Zipdy
is a reimplementation of a commercial product.  Zipdy relies
on public domain US Census data for it\'s longitude and latitude
points.

My project already exists.  It is being used by about 20 web sites.
The main project page is:  http://www.cryptnet.net/fsp/zipdy/
The FreshMeat page is:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/zipdy/

The project is more or less in maintenance mode.

I\'ve released two versions of Zipdy so far.  1.0.0, which used
1990 census data and 2.0.0, which used year 2000 census data.
Because Zipdy is GPL\'d I\'ve gotten a number of patch submissions
including Visual Basic code so that Zipdy can be used on windows,
SQL code to support the MySQL database, and code for speeding
up and improving Zipdy.  Sometime this month or next, I plan
to take all of the patches apply them and release a version 3.0.0
of Zipdy which will run on Unix and Microsoft operating systems.