[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Ly

From: b . fallenstein
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Ly
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:25:38 -0500

Benja Fallenstein <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Ly
System name: ly
This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

Ly is an engine for elegant literate programming. (If you need information
about literate programming not specific to Ly,
please see <http://literateprogramming.com/>.) Ly aims for a syntax that is
easy to type, easy to read, has as few special
characters as possible, and looks very much like the human-readable output. You
can interleave code with documentation
(one code paragraph, one paragraph of text, two paragraphs of code and so on);
Ly distinguishes code from text by
indentation, thus avoiding the need for delimiting markup. Ly is written in
Python and mainly targeted at outputting HTML,
though other output formats are likely to be added in the future.

Ly is currently usable, but still in an early state (in a number of cases its
error messages are not intelligible without
reading the source code; there is too few documentation; not all of the code is
literate itself, etc.). In the future, I
want to modularize it enough to allow for easy modifications of its behaviors
on all levels. There will be special support
for some specific programming languages, easying the task of programming in
them. Ly will use the StructuredTextNG package
(now available under the Zope Public License 2.0), allowing Wiki-like
formatting commands if desired. (If Ly is approved
for inclusion in the GNU project, I would like to prepend \'GNU\' to its name.)

While I would like Ly to be customizable to any user\'s taste, I also want to
maintain a standard distribution that makes
literate programming *elegant* in my eyes. I also want to maintain an extensive
archive of programs written using Ly.

So far Ly has been hosted at Sourceforge (sigh); you can find the download page
at <
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=46322>. An introductory
text is available in the distribution or at
<http://lyterate.sf.net/intro.html>.