[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Versitile Data Mesh

From: ironfroggy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Versitile Data Mesh
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 02:57:14 -0400

Calvin Spealman <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: other
Other License: The GPL would work just fine for this project.  However, I was
recently pondering some ammendments for use in projects which would wish to use
them.  I would like to request that my project adhere to these ammendments to
the GPL.  If you do not approve, then I will use the GPL with no complaints
(voiced, at least *grin*).

My ammends consist of the following:

Use of this software for any commercial purproses require a donation to either
the project itself or one of its dependencies (such as The GNU Project).  This
donation will be 3% of the profit resulting from the project\'s use, or any
figure decided by the project administration.

Failure to comply results in a loose of rights to use the project.

PS - My  little ammendment(s) probably would need some work, and I\'m more than
glad to accept modifications, commentary, and/or insults.  It\'s just an idea,
after all.
Package: Versitile Data Mesh
System name: vdm
This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

I propose a general data representation standard.  I\'ve called it VDM, which
stands for \"Versitile Data Mesh\".  VDM is based on several layers, controling
data representation, distribution (p2p), authorization of access and
encryption, and many, many standard data formats (such as integers, floats,
strings, enumerations, hash tables, arrays, images, sounds, videos, documents,
interfaces, and virtually any information the human mind can think of).  The
purpose is that something like this is really needed.  Yes, we have XML.
However, I believe it is an inferior format.  VDM data could be stored in
several ways (binary or mark-up, etc).  VDM would be more flexible and
distributed, and aimed at a wider audience and use.  Released information will
include documentation on the standards and formats, utilities for editing and
accessing VDM data files, VDM database server and client, and example
applications of the technology.

The project does not exist beyond my own mind, scribbled notes, and
conversations with a few friends.