Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of The address@hidde

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of The address@hidden Service
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 00:53:58 +0200

Hi,

Sorry, we can't accept your project since we made the choice to host only softwares that can be run without installing any proprietary software.

Regards

Le dim 09 jun 2002 à 23h45, address@hidden a écrit :

Ted Dennison <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: The address@hidden Service
System name: seti-service

The address@hidden service is a Windows NT service that controls a
address@hidden command-line client. Since it is implemented as a service,
it is only usable on systems running Windows NT kernels like NT or
Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

The goal address@hidden Service is to help maximize your system\'s
address@hidden work-unit output. It uses the command-line client, which
elimiates processing cycles that would otherwise be lost to displaying
graphics. As a further boost, even the client\'s text output is
disabled. The client is run as a background process, so that it can
continually work without affecting anything else you may want to do on
your machine.

But the main benifit to running the client as a service is that it
runs the client as long as your machine is booted. You no longer need
to leave yourself logged on to process work units. Likewise, if your
machine is rebooted while you are away from it for any reason (eg:
power outage), the address@hidden Service will resume processing
immediately after your machine reboots. A third way the address@hidden
Service helps you is with network outages. If your network connection
happens to be down when the address@hidden client completes a unit, it will
quite likely termiate. This can leave you without any SETI processing
for an extended period of time until you come back to the machine and
notice the client\'s window is gone. The address@hidden Service automaticly
detects termination of the address@hidden client and restarts it. A fourth
way the address@hidden Service helps you is with its handy built-in web
server, which can report client status to any connected PC via your
web-browser. The address@hidden Service can even suspend or terminate the
SETI client(s) while other important processes are running.

The address@hidden Service requires a command-line address@hidden client. To
ensure the integrety of the results, address@hidden clients must be
downloaded from an approved server, so one is not distributed with
this package. A list of approved download sites for the address@hidden
client is available at http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/unix.html.
Look for the latest i386-winnt-cmdline.exe release.

It already exists. However, my ISP has been sold, and is no longer
serving the web pages for the project.

Other Software Required:
The address@hidden Service requires the following:
An operating system based on the Windows NT kernel (support for
services).
A address@hidden client that works on Wintel boxes. Valid ones may be
downloaded from http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/unix.html

Other Comments: