[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Terminal.app - savannah.gnu.org

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Terminal.app - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:29:11 +0200

[snip]
> > It currently emulates a \'linux\' terminal, and does it well since
> > the terminal emulation code is based on linux\'s console code.
[snip]
> "Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system
> that we like to refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize
> the ideals of the Free Software movement.

I'm (superficially, at least) aware of this issue, but I believe my use
in this case is correct. I was making a reference to the kernel Linux
(specifically, linux/drivers/char/console.c and
linux/drivers/char/consolemap.c, from which I've borrowed code), and the
"linux" termcap/terminfo entry. There was one incorrect case in the
README that I've fixed.

[snip]
> In order to release your project under the GPL you
> should write copyright notice and copying conditions
> at the beginning of every source code file, and
> include a copy of the plain text version of the GPL
> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt copy it, for
> instance, into a file named COPYING).

I've added a GPL notice to all source files.

[snip]
> > The preferred capitalization is \'Terminal\', but the system name
> > seemed to lower-case itself. It would be nice to have this reflected
> > in the system name, although it isn\'t that important.
>
> unix name must be lower-case here.
> Anyway, personally, this esthetic consideration complicates a lot
> usage (if every unix name is lower-case, no need to guess casing...)

OpenStep names are traditionally mixed-case. GNUstep follows this
convention, so I decided to do the same.

> Could you resubmit once it's done?
> You can resubmit your project with ease by copying
> the big re-registration URL provided in the mail
> you receive at submission

OK.

>         Regards,

- Alexander Malmberg