[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Themacs - savannah.gnu.org

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Themacs - savannah.gnu.org
Date: 25 Aug 2002 21:52:53 +0200

address@hidden said:

> A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
>
> Thomas <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: Themacs
> System name: themacs
> Type: 1

> My project is an Emacs plugin (written in Emacs Lisp) that gives keyboard
> shortcuts and menu items to common function of Emacs. Its aims is to give an
> easier access to some functions for beginners of Emacs that doesn\'t know all
> the possibilities of this editor.
>
> It has also a support for templates (easily customable) to be able to create
> Makefile for C/C++, Java and LaTeX. Templates are also used to create basic
> files in LaTeX, class or functions (respecting the JavaDoc specifications for
> comments for the functions, classes or variables : so it is possible to
> generate the documentation with doxygen, doc++ or the javadoc).
>
> It activates also some default Emacs minor-mode for major-mode (like
> flyspell, hscroll-minor-mode, the mouse-wheel...), so a beginner can
> immediatly uses this function
>
> It is also possible to create project. A project is a set of files created
> for a particular goals. As a current state, it is possible to create project
> for a LaTeX document, C/C++ executable or shared object (for Linux), a Java
> project and cook recipe (it was for my girlfriend).
>
> At last but not least, themacs supports for programming languages a debugger.
> It uses already existing functions of Emacs but add one or two things. It is
> for example possible to launch automatically gdb on the executable of the
> project or to set breakpoints when the debugger is not launched.
>
> The future of this project is not clearly set because I am writing functions
> when I need them but two of my goals at the moment are improve the  interface
> of the debugger, support more languages.
>
> Anyway, all the functionalities of this project are to simplify the life of a
> beginner under Emacs.
>
> Other Software Required:
> This project is a plugin for Emacs, so it needs Emacs to work.
>
> Other Comments:
> At the beginning, I wrote this project only for me but lot of people ask to
> me where it could be download or how to take part of the project. This is the
> reason why I decided to put it on Savannah.

Hi,

Despite the fact that your project is interesting, I found the name
misleading. It does not make clear the purpose of your project.

In fact, it's a mode for emacs beginners, isn't it?

Also, there's usefull functions (consider files as part of a
project...) that could be a whole mode by themselves, since they may
be usefull for everyone, not especially beginners.

Could you resubmit your project with another name and, why not,
submitting a project for each important mode. (as tramp is hosted on savannah)

After, you should write to emacs people to tell them about your
project(s).

You can resubmit your project with ease by copying
the big re-registration URL provided in the mail
you receive at submission

Mathieu Roy

 << GPG Key  << http://gpg.coleumes.org              <<