[Savannah-hackers] submission of LaTeX semantic checker - savannah.gnu.o

From: baruch
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of LaTeX semantic checker - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 15:02:30 -0400

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Baruch Even <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License: The package also includes a clause for \"giftware\":
Registration

   `ChkTeX\' is made available under the concept of Gift-Ware, which is a
   variant of Share-Ware. Share-Ware software authors often release
   `crippled\' versions of their products, i.e. these programs do not
   support the same functionality as the registered versions you get when
   sending monetary contributions to the authors. It all comes down to
   `pay for the software you are using\' in Share-Ware terms. With
   Gift-Ware registration it is different, you are not required to
   contribute money, but a gift will do. With `ChkTeX\' you always get a
   fully functional program, there is no `crippled\' test release which
   you can try for a limited time and then have to pay for in order to
   receive the working registered version.

   It may seem as if `ChkTeX\' was free, but this is not the case.
   Although there is no need to pay the author in order to get a fully
   functional version of the program you should consider making a
   contribution. You don\'t need to feel guilty if you cannot or do not
   want to give me something in return for the work I have put into
   `ChkTeX\'. Show me that it was worth spending so much time listening to
   users, updating, rewriting and enhancing this program. Your
   contributions will provide the motivation for me to keep developing
   the program.

   Send your contribution to the following address:

     Jens Berger
     Spektrumvn. 4
     N-0666 Oslo
     Norway

Package: LaTeX semantic checker
System name: chktex
Type: 2

chktex is an existing program with no homepage and no development line since
its author apparently abandoned it. I\'m the Debian maintainer of the package
and have recently fixed a bug for the program when running under emacs. I do
not foresee that it will continue full development as to the best of my
knowledge it is pretty mature and does most of what is needed. But bugfixes do
exist and a central point to keep them and maintain the program is needed.

It already exists and you can download the latest distribution at
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/chktex/

Bug fixes exist in the package at the Debian site:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/tex/chktex.html

Other Software Required:
This program is only useful for TeX users, and thus \"requires\" tex or latex.

Other Comments: