[Savannah-hackers] Re: migrating mailing lists to nongnu.org

From: Mathieu Roy
Date: 17 Sep 2002 21:12:00 +0200

Loic Dachary <address@hidden> said:

> Paul Fisher writes:
>  > On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 03:38:23PM +0200, Loic Dachary wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  I'll make plans to migrate mailing lists willing to. That won't
>  > > be straightforward, I'm afraid. Although jbailey granted me access to
>  > > mp.gnu.org, I'll only use it for browsing.
>  >
>  > Please let me know when you'd like this done -- I can take care of
>  > moving the lists.
>  >
>  > Is it simply that any list that was address@hidden
>  > should now be address@hidden
>
>       That's it.
>
>  > For compatibility, I can make any existing lists work in both domains.
>
>       That would be grand. I can't tell you how relieved I'd be if you
> could do it. I would understand if you don't have time for it though ;-)
>
>       The schedule I planned was:
>
>       - stop mailing list creation on savannah (kill the list admin page)
>       - arrange for all existing lists to work with @nongnu.org
>         and @mail.freesoftware.fsf.org
>       - arrange for archives to be visible on mail.nongnu.org
>       - redirect mail.freesoftware.fsf.org to mail.nongnu.org
>       - change mailing list creation scripts so that they create
>         nongnu.org lists instead of freesoftware.fsf.org
>       - change savannah parameters (/etc/savannah/nongnu-conf) to
>         set nongnu.org instead of freesoftware.fsf.org

Parameters in savannah/nongnu-conf about mailing-list are almost
completely useless. In most of the case, theses informations depends
on the group type of projects. And thoses informations are manage
using database (see Group Type Administration).

As far I understood, mailing-list are created by using a script called
sfverify, located on the mailing-list server.
If I'm right, there's no need to shutdown anything. We just need to
set up correctly mailman and to give to savannah (Group Type
Adminstration) the correct informations.

--
Mathieu Roy

 << GPG Key  << http://gpg.coleumes.org              <<