[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of ginette - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of ginette - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 30 Sep 2002 11:11:52 +0200

address@hidden said:

> Jean-Pierre Branchard <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: ginette
> System name: ginette
> Type: non-GNU

> \"Ginette\" is a free software project for Linux system. It was made in order

"Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system
that we like to refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize
the ideals of the Free Software movement.

Would you mind changing occurences of Linux as OS
to GNU/Linux?

You can get more information at
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

> to help the teenagers in solving equations and linear systems.
> \\\"Ginette\\\" read the equations from a text file which was
> written by the teacher. For each equation, the student have to
> choose between few operations in a combo-box. Theses operations will
> bring him gradually to the equation\\\'s solution. For example, to
> solve the equation \"2x+3=-5x+4\", the student can choose to take
> away 3 from the two parts of the equation. The software\\\'s answer
> will be \"2x=-5x+1\" etc... This symbolic computation is based on
> the library \"GINAC\". The interface for the user is written with
> GTK-1.2.  \\\"Ginette\\\" is written in C++ because \\\"GINAC\\\" is
> developped in same way.  However, I use GTK rather GTKmm so as to
> make a version of \"Ginette for the MS-Windows system.  I need a
> help to test, to internationalize and to prepare some future
> improved versions of  this soft.
>
> Temporary URL to the current code base :
>
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jean-pierre.branchard/sources/

In order to release your project under the GPL you
should write copyright notices and copying permission
statements at the beginning of every source-code file, and
include a copy of the plain text version of the GPL
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt copy it, for
instance, into a file named COPYING).

In your case, it only lacks copyright notices (for instance in
ginette.cc). Inserting copying conditions is not sufficient since the
way we defend copyleft is in fact copyright.

Please follow the advice of
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

The GPL FAQ can also help you understand the reason behind
thoses recommendations. For example, there is an entry explaining
why the GPL requires including a copy of the GPL with
every copy of the program:
 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

Could you resubmit your project once it's done?
You can resubmit your project with ease by copying
the big re-registration URL provided in the mail
you received  at submission

Mathieu Roy

 << GPG Key  << http://gpg.coleumes.org              <<