[Savannah-hackers] Re: Prometheus PBEMl game by Mathias Kettner (#3152)

From: Mathias Kettner
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Prometheus PBEMl game by Mathias Kettner (#3152)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 20:14:34 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

> I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.
>
> Could you create a tarball with the code as it
> now exists and make it available to a temporary URL
> (and add this url to your description while submitting
> the project)?

Ok. I'm currently working on it. I just need a written
license agreement with the guy that has the copyright
on the images contained in the project.

> We want to help you fix potential legal issues.
> For example, in order to release your project under
> the GPL you should write copyright notices and copying
> permission statements at the beginning of every source code
> file, following the advice of
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

This also has yet to be done.

> address@hidden, if I'm not mistaking, previously ask that.
>
> You choose : "License other
>  For each game hosted you must send an email to an address which will
>  be announced in the software. This mail must contain the location of
>  the server (State/City), the number of players, the language the game
>  is played with (currently German or English), the software version of
>  prometheus and the name of the person hosting the game. You don't
>  need to send emails for inhouse games. An inhouse game is a game
>  where all players use the same computer or a local network to play
>  and where no emails nor postal mails are being sent with turn sheets
>  or printouts. Note: If you have sent the mail you can go on hosting
>  the game. You don't have to wait for an answer. The mail is not
>  intended for asking permission, just for me to keep some statistical
>  information. Your name will not be published. "
>
> We can accept this as a license: it does not tell to users what they
> are able to do, depending on which conditions.

This shall be just an addition to the GPL. I really want the software
under the GPL. What I want to say is:
"You can use the software under the terms of the GPL as long as you
send those emails describes above".

Do you think this is possible as a license?

> We also can accept this condition as a free licensing
> conditions. You can provide a functionnality that do this, but not
> force users to do so by the license.
>
> Could you resubmit your project with statements about that?
>
> You can resubmit your project with ease by copying
> the big re-registration URL provided in the mail
> you received  at submission
>
> Regards,

Thanks for your interest and with best regards,

--
        Mathias    .'\   /.