Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of usigcfest - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of usigcfest - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:30:06 +0100

We only host FREE (as in freedom) projects.

Note that Savannah supports projects of the Free Software
movement, not projects of the Open Source movement.
We are careful about ethical issues and insist on
producing software that is not dependent on proprietary
software.

While Open Source as defined by it's founders means
Free Software, it's frequently misunderstood.
For more information, read
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

Note also that commercial does not means proprietary.
Free Software can be "free as beer" but it means free
as freedom. And so, it can be commercialized.
For instance, while RedHat sells a distribution, it can be
seen as commercialization of software and it's still Free
Software; there are no conflicts with the free licenses.

Rudy