[Savannah-hackers] submission of Virtual Private Ethernet - savannah.no

From: savannah
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Virtual Private Ethernet - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:08:12 -0500

Marc A. Lehmann <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Virtual Private Ethernet
System name: vpe
Type: non-GNU

vpe stands for virtual private ethernet, and is \"yet another tunnel solution\"
featuring encapsulation, compression and encryption
of ethernet packets.

The differences between vpe and most other \"vpn\"\'s is that this
implements a real network, that is, multiple hosts connected
with a virtual ethernet.

The goals of this project are to provide a very basic, featureless
but robust, small (in memory) and fast solution that is relatively easy to
setup (only one shared config file + autogenerated rsa keys)
and uses a single UDP port only.

The reason I wrote (or started to write) it is that I didn\'t find another
solution that runs stable and conencts multiple hosts.

I used tincd (GPL) as a base, threw away all the tincd code exceot the
configure, Makefiles, m4 macros and rpelacement functions that were mostly
taken from other free projects.

http://data.plan9.de/vpe-0.1.tar.gz

Does still contain the doc subdir form the tincd distribution, but it\'s work
in progress, and will be cleaned up before the first check-in.

Other Software Required:
openssl

Other Comments:
I wouldn\'t mind at all to making this program (if wanted ;) part of the GNU
project, but I didn\'t select it yet because the source certainly isn\'t up to
the GNU standards yet. It would be helpful if the page would state that you cna
apply for a GNU project later (which I assume, but maybe it\'s not as easy), or
at least tell the actual requirements to apply for that (the refernces don\'T
go into this topic).