[Savannah-hackers] Re: [ 101806 ] Apache SSI

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [ 101806 ] Apache SSI
Date: 04 Mar 2003 08:51:41 +0100

> Yes.  I have multiple pages.  They all require the same HTML incantations
> at the beginning and end.  Furthermore, each page needs the same project
> specific stuff (top of page navigation, end of page links, etc.) beginning
> and end.  As the number of pages in my site grows it is becoming
> increasingly difficult to keep them all "in sync."  It looks to grow from
> difficult to nightmarish.
>
> I could, of course, use a local (to me, not the webserver) build system to
> create the site a "release" at a time, but that approach is not readily
> compatible with CVS.

Somepeople (me on a project, but I'm not the only one) use that
approach.
In the CVS, there are sources + generated files. It's pretty
inconvenient, I must admit, to manage the generated files via CVS, but
it works.

> > An another issue we have to deal with now is the increasing number
> > of users. We cannot risk to overload web server.
>
> That's a legitimate concern.  Mod_include is quite light-weight.  It will
> expand the httpd's memory footprint just a hair and the increase in disk
> and CPU load should be quite manageable.
>
> Is there any info available on what the savannah hosting situation is?  Is
> an effort being made to attract funds, or is it just run as a worthwhile
> project by the FSF?

There is an effort to attract funds by the FSF, but not specific to
Savannah.

But anyway, I was mistaking: I spoke of the Savannah server
configuration when you wanted something new on the www server. Which
is not the same computer.

The computer that serve webpage is maintained by
address@hidden, so I included them in Cc. They'll handle you
request (mod_include for the webpages).

--
Mathieu Roy