[Savannah-hackers] submission of NetSharD - Networked Sharing System -

From: trelane
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of NetSharD - Networked Sharing System - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 22:22:09 -0500

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Joseph Pingenot <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: NetSharD - Networked Sharing System
System name: netshard
Type: GNU

A secure (as secure as I can make it, anyway) file sharing and collaboration
utility/system.  In the end goal, it will enable a group of people (e.g. a
group of coworkers or friends) to share files with each other [if desired,
encrypted and stored in pieces with members of the group], do videoconferencing
[video and audio streams], and [IhopeIhopeIhope] allow apps to interact with
each other across the \"pipe\" so that peers can review a document or something
at the same time, and coordinate the views across the \"pipe\".  The last one
is fairly pie-in-the-sky, but it would absolutely rock if I/we can convince
people to play along.  The \"pipe\" will be encrypted if desired, and, of
course, the authenticity of the assumed identity will be verified as well as I
can make it.

It will be non-centric, so that no external software or providers or
organizations will be needed.  This will avoid tie-ins to specific vendors and
help avoid potential problems with any vendors.

I will plan it out [am actually planning it now] before a line of code is
written (OK, probably *some* coding will go on before the system\'s finalized),
to ensure that the system is open to public scrutiny, to improve the security
of the system.

The system will interact via open standards (e.g. ICCCM, LSB, freedesktop,
etc.) to make it work as well as possible with all window managers and desktop
systems.

The GUI will be just that--a GUI on top of a central, open system, so that
others can implement another (probably better) GUI.  Thus, the GUI won\'t be
more than a reference implementation, although I\'ll try to make it as usable
as possible.

Additionally, I\'ll try to export the system in other bindings (I can do Java
and C++ myself) to enable inter-language compatibility and as part of my
Linux-NG project.

Finally, I\'ll make it as modular as possible, to allow for maximum
interoperation.  For example, it might be possible to make it operate over jxta
or such.

Other Software Required:
OpenSSL (for the link encryption; might use kernel-level stuff as well)
Ogg Vorbis (for the audio; I\'ll use their video stuff if it\'s there)
possibly GNUPG
XFree86
GNOME (for the reference GUI)
???

Open to suggestions for other components I will need and should use!

Other Comments: