[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Mldonkey-devel] None

From: MLdonkey
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Mldonkey-devel] None
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 15:54:39 +0100

Hi,

>  Apparently, mldonkey clients are trying to get a server list directly
>  on Savannah.
>
>  If not, I wonder about the usage of a "motd.html", "peers.ocl" and
>  "servers.met" in the project download area, and why so many clients
>  identified as "wget 1.4" or "MLdonkey 2.02+pango20030306b-29" try to
>  download them.
>
>  Savannah provides to free software project services for project
>  _development_ , and this is not development but usage.
>
>  I wonder why you didn't ask us before using the download area in this
>  way.
>
>  As experts on networking, you cannot ignore how much bandwith and CPU
>  usage it can consume (https!).
>
>  It's absolutely unacceptable.
>
>  Next step:
>          - a clear explanation

Yes, mldonkey downloads some configuration files from savannah on
startup. I didn't think it was such an heavy load for you. I didn't
make the difference between hosting the development site and the usage
site, as the WEB pages are supposed to be usage files and are hosted
by savannah... If I didn't ask you, it's just because I didn't think
it would be a problem, for the previous reason, and because as there
are not so many mldonkey clients running (5000 clients at most,
connecting once a day, 1 req/20s).  Moreover, some of these files were
supposed to be used to configure clients on the fly, and are thus part
of the development, to tune some parameters. Anyway, the files will be
removed and a new release will appear ASAP, ie on monday.

- Fabrice