[Savannah-hackers] submission of Library of Invigorating Algorithms - s

From: ncnufx
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Library of Invigorating Algorithms - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 22:35:34 -0500

TongKe Xue <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: lgpl
Other License:
Package: Library of Invigorating Algorithms
System name: liblia
Type: non-GNU

PROJECT: Library of Invigorating Algorithms
LANGUAGE: C++
CODE URL: None, Described Below

SHORT DESCRIPTION: A C++ library of classical data structures
  and algorithms, with optimal big-O running time and implemented
  in templates.

WHY IT\'S NEEDED: (in my opinion, upon what I have gathered)
  * STL: covers list/vector/map/set, but not graphs/computational
    geometry structures, ...
  * GNU numeric/scientific library: aimed at numeric computations
    but not algorithms/data structures in general; a project
    aimed at algorithms/data structure should complement the
    numeric/scientific library
  * \"Free for academic use, contact us for commerical use\": I
    dislike the license.
  * Other: Generally has wrong license, lacks advanced algorithms,
    or has ``weird\'\' notation.

LONG DESCRIPTION:
  Algorithms/Data Structures to Implement:
    (Incomplete list, will likely grow over time)
    (Probably not implemented in this order)
    * Graph Theory
      * Shortest Path
      * Maximum Flow
      * Minimum Spanning Tree
    * Computational Geometry
      * Intersections
      * Convex Hulls
      * Closest Points
    * Other
      * Binomial Heaps
      * Fibonacci Heaps

WHY SAVANNAH.GNU.ORG:
  Science Fair Project; Contributing back to the GNU/Linux system
  that I\'ve learned from.

WHY NO URL:
  I\'m aware of the existence of commercial packages (though some
  offer free licenses for academic use). If I were to release any
  significant piece of work at once, there might be room for the
  argument of ``this code was taken from <blah blah blah>\'\'. Thus,
  I want a public, trusted CVS documentation from the start; to
  ensure that such a claim would have very little ground. (And thus,
  no initial code).

Other Software Required:
As far as I know, none. My home system runs debian gnu/linux stable 3.0 (as of
now, probably upgrade throughout the years :-) ).

Other Comments:
Comment 1:
I have a question, which I hope will avoid potential problems in the future:
Can algorithms be copyrighted? (Not the implementation, but the algorithm
themselves?) I\'m deriving most of the \"ideas\" from
(1) Introduction to Algorithms; MIT Press; Thomas H. Cormen, et. al; ISBN
0-262-03141-8
(2) The art of comptuer programming; Addison-Wesley; Donald E. Knuth; ISBN
0-201-89683-4

Comment 2:
I eventually want this project to be part of the GNU project; however, after
reading step 5 (or maybe it was 4), it seems since I do not have an URL to the
source code, this is not an option. Thus, I an currently submitting it under
\"non-GNU\" and will request a review later. If my understanding of this is
wrong, please correct it.