[Savannah-hackers] [ 101927 ] New Project containing binary firmware ?

From: nobody
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [ 101927 ] New Project containing binary firmware ?
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:09:27 -0500

Support Request #101927, was updated on Sun 03/09/03 at 19:09
You can respond by visiting:
http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailsupport&support_id=101927&group_id=11

Category: None

By: joerg.albert
Date: Mon 03/10/03 at 10:09
Logged In: NO
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i586; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020826

Hi yeupou,

> - Have Atmel any connection with the firm that produce
>   the device?
Yes, Atmel supplies chipset, firmware, evaluation boards and
probably also design documents (pcb layout etc.). The
firmware is AFAIK produced by Atmel.

> - Is the firmware binary provided by this firm?
No, by Atmel.

> - If so, does Atmel have the source for this binary?
AFAIK, yes. They have either produced the firmware
themselves or bought it. According to some copyright string
in the binary it seems to contain a commercial OS, which
might have been sold to Atmel in object format.

> - If not, in which headers Atmel added the GPL?
Atmel has added the GPL in *.h files, containing the
binary firmware (in large byte arrays).
In later fw updates Atmel silently "forgot" the GPL header.

>The easier answer is to tell you what would be problematic
>for your project to be hosted here:
>- Dependancy on non-free software or driver...
I guessed so :-(. So your answer is "no", isn't it?
Does "dependancy" include "interface to", i.e. would it even
be a problem to host a device driver at Savannah if the
device contained non-free firmware in its _flash_?

/Jörg

By: yeupou
Date: Mon 03/10/03 at 05:59
Logged In: YES
user_id=1896
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.1; Linux 2.4.21-pre4; i686; fr,
address@hidden)

Hi,

About the mail problem, it will be fixed.

About your project, I'm not sure to understand wholy the story :