[Savannah-hackers] submission of RoxOS - savannah.nongnu.org

From: linuxrox
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of RoxOS - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:20:17 -0500

Simon Porter <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: other
Other License: We have not decided yet which license will be used for the
project. We are still mainly in the planning stages. This will be fully
discussed in the group.
Package: RoxOS
System name: roxos
Type: non-GNU

Our project is called RoxOS. It is a project to create a distribution/operating
system based on Linux and other existing code which people will find more
easier to use on the desktop. The idea initially came from the idea of
Application Directories that the open source project Rox filer uses
(http://rox.sourceforge.net). We want to expand on this by making a OS that has
been simplified throughout. We also wanted to do away with hiding complexity
with abstraction. The Filesystem Hierarchy is one example of this.

We aim to make the OS compatible with existing Linux programs wherever possible
by use of a compatibility layer.

Objectives for this project can be found here:
http://lemmit.offline.ee/home/green/Linux/DS/Rox%20OS%20Objectives.html

The current website is at http://lemmit.offline.ee/home/green/Linux/

We have not yet started on the coding of the project. We feel it is better to
discuss things throughly and agree on things first before implementing them.

We are currently seeking a more permanent home and would be greatful is you
would consider hosting our project. We also plan on making use of the mailing
list, CVS and other features you offer.

Other Software Required:
The operating system will be based on the work of existing free software
projects such as the Linux kernel and the X Windowing system. We do want to
encorage both free software and non-free software to take advantage of RoxOS
features such as Application Directories.

Other Comments: