Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of GNU Gadu - savannah.gnu.org

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of GNU Gadu - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:04:33 -0500

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 11:03:50AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:

> A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
>

> Igor Popik <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: GNU Gadu

Since your project does not seems to be part of the
GNU project yet, we cannot accept that project name
for it. Of course there are lots of non-GNU projects
with names such as gnuplot and gnuboy, but they are
not hosted in Savannah.

In the projects we host we want to keep the distinction
 between GNU and non-GNU projects, to avoid confusion.

If your project is accepted into the GNU project, you
 can change its name later on.

> System name: gg
> Type: GNU

> Our project is an instant messanger (IM) client. It is based on plugins. Even
> GUI is designed to be a plugin (curently we use GTK+2). The core (uses glib2)
> controls communication between plugins eg. GUI and the protocol plugin via
> \"signals\". Core also provides some unified data types for different IM
> protocols - GUI plugin (and possibly other plugins) can understand what
> different protocols want. We have created few protocol plugins - our main
> goal is to provide free (as in freedom) IM client for users in Poland - so we
> have Poland specific protocols support, but not only, we want to support such
> protocols as jabber (early stages but working), ICQ (planned). The source
> code is at this stage quite solid (core and main plugins) but we will need
> some design changes before we can relase final version.
>
> Source code:
> ftp://ftp.slackware.pl/pub/gg/gg-2.0pre0.tar.gz (may be offline)
> http://www.hakore.com/~krzak/gg2/gg2-snap.tar.gz (CVS snapshot)
>
> Other Software Required:
> glib2
> gtk+2 (optional but this is only gui we have...)
> libgadu (LGPL http://dev.null.pl/ekg distributed along with EKG - text based
> IM client) (optional, only for Gadu-gadu protocol)
> libtlen (http://www.libtlen.eu.org) (optional, only for tlen.pl protocol)
> iksemel (for jabber)

Please remove GIF images files from your project and replaced them
by other format (such as PNG or JPEG).

Because of the patents (Unisys and IBM) covering the LZW
compression algorithm which is used in making GIF files,
it's impossible to have free software to generate proper
GIFs. They also apply to the compress program.

For more information read http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html

In order to release your project under the GPL you
should write copyright notices and copying permission
statements at the beginning of every source-code file, and
include a copy of the plain text version of the GPL
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt). Copy it for instance
into a file named COPYING.

Please follow the advice of http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

The GPL FAQ can also help you understand the reason behind
thoses recommendations. For example, there is an entry explaining
why the GPL requires including a copy of the GPL with
every copy of the program:
 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

Please register your project once more with the changes mentioned
above. The way we handle pending projects makes it difficult to keep
track of projects that have been answered but have not been approved
yet, so we erase them and we ask you to register the project again every
time some change has to be done to the registration, and users might
have to register their projects several times. Thank you for your
understanding.

Some users find it useful to use the big re-registration URL provided in
the acknowledgment e-mail you received after registration.

Regards,

Rudy