[Savannah-hackers] Re: request for license change for the libcroco proj

From: Dodji Seketeli
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: request for license change for the libcroco project.
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:35:39 +0100 (MET)

Quoting Mathieu Roy <address@hidden>:

> Dodji Seketeli <address@hidden> said:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am the main programmer and maintainer of the libcroco project
> > which main page is hosted on savannah.
> > Due to the fact that libcroco is going to be used by some
> > of the GNOME core libraries and due to the implied licensing
> concerns,
> > I have decided to re-licence libcroco under the LGPL in place of the
> > initial GPL.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I do not know how to change the licensing information
> on
> > the savannah main page of the libcroco project. Could you please
> > tell me how to do that or do it if I cannot ?
>
> We'll do it for you.
Thank you.

> Can you tell us what are the "implied licensing concern"? Is there
> "GNOME core libraries" that cannot be linked against a GPLed software?
> Did you read "Why you shouldn't use the Lesser GPL for your next
> library"?
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html

Well, I am well aware about the differences and the caveats of both
licenses.
However, gnome and thus the gnome core libraries can be used in proprietary
environments. The gnome core libraries are therefore licensed under the LGPL
which is more "ecological" while allowing it developpers to keep their
copyleft.
I don't want to start and endless discussion here. I just want libcroco
to be used, debugged and improved. I also want it to stay free.
LGPL is imho a good tradeoff to achieve these goals smoothly.

All the best,

Dodji.

homepage: http://www.seketeli.org/dodji
gnome xml editor: http://www.freespiders.org/projects/gmlview