[Savannah-hackers] Re: suddenly lost CVS access to subversions.gnu.org

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: suddenly lost CVS access to subversions.gnu.org
Date: 06 Apr 2003 16:44:47 +0200

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> said:

> Okay, I did 'man ssh_config' and read up on the config file format.
> The key paragraph is:
>
>      For each parameter, the first obtained value will be used.  The
>      configuration files contain sections bracketed by ``Host''
>      specifications, and that section is only applied for hosts that
>      match one of the patterns given in the specification.  The
>      matched host name is the one given on the command line.
>
> So the problem with my ~/.ssh/config file was that it made a global
> Protocol declaration *first*:
>
>    Protocol 2,1
>    Host cvs.red-bean.com
>     EscapeChar none
>     ForwardX11 no
>    Host *.gnu.org
>     Protocol 1
>
> After I moved it to the last position
>
>    Host cvs.red-bean.com
>     EscapeChar none
>     ForwardX11 no
>    Host *.gnu.org
>     Protocol 1
>    Protocol 2,1
>
> that fixed the problem, because now the "Protocol 1" for *.gnu.org
> gets picked up first, and the Protocol parameter takes that value.
>
> I find these precedence rules somewhat counterintuitive :-), but in
> any case they are documented, so all I had to do was RTFM.

I should have done too. And I also find these precedence rule somehow
puzzling. To me, it's a bug: the rule you give for Host *.gnu.org was
ignored and, even it's documented, it's still a problem.

No one would imagine a
        export SHELL=/bin/false
that would be override by a previous
        export SHELL=/bin/bash