[Savannah-hackers] submission of Tetum Translation Project - savannah.g

From: gossner
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Tetum Translation Project - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 06:45:22 -0400

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Peter Gossner <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Tetum Translation Project
System name: tetum
Type: GNU

Gnome Translations for Tetum (The common language of Timor Leste (aka East
Timor))

At the moment there is no source code.
I am requesting this space / hosting so that the project may be ongoing and
recruit input beyond the East Timor IT list.

The locales required for the real people of East Timor extend beyond English
(US or AU or otherwise) and Portuguese. (Europe).

While I am hoping that this project will be standalone and enourage the use of
GNU and associated software and will be backing it up with preinstalled and
configured PC\'s for use of the Department of Social services in Dilli. Beyond
that we hope to instigate an ongoing \"barefoot administrators project\" which
is currently being assesed for sponsor ship by the AU gov\'t ..(so far the
response has been positive).
The essential approach will be to teach them to teach themselves, the \"stuff\"
they need and want not what we think they should do.
I hope to be able to deliver interfaces and approaches that are readily, or
even preferentially accepted by the \"general computer user\" in East Timor.

I have had some expressions of interest and access to people who spek Tetum /
English and Tetum / Portuguese. I would see my role as mostly hand holding and
probably the po files :)

Tetum language interfaces (and more) would of course ease this journey .. I
would also hope to do dictionary DBs and similar ..and would hope all of the
language / translation work could be handled from the one site.

Other Software Required:
Totally GPL or similar . Certainly no JAVA <shudder>

Other Comments: