[Savannah-hackers] Re: subversions lossage

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: subversions lossage
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:40:37 +0200

        Hi,

        After a few minutes only, the ext2 partition shows:

/dev/hda3              2071416    551212   1414980  29% /tmpcvs

        which suggests that the ram file system is no longer big
enough to hold the temporary data necessary to run pserver. The disk
I/O did not become histerical and the load average remained stable
(although high : ~6). However, after looking into the temporary
directories, it shows that some people are using something like:

        cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot co .

        and this checks out *all* Savannah CVS trees (except private
ones). That "hole" was not too much of a problem until now and was
kept for backward compatibility purposes. At this point in time, I
guess it's not unreasonable to remove this possibily.

        I moved /cvsroot/CVSROOT to /cvsroot/.CVSROOT-moved-by-loic-2003-06-13

        If, after all, /tmpcvs is populated with less than 100MB in average,
we could switch back to using /mnt/ramfs. However, if it turns out that
using an ext2 partition solves the disk overload problem we had with ext3
partitions, I suggest we keep it that way. We could use some mount options
to further enhance the performances of the /tmpcvs partition, such as
-o async. But I'm not an expert on this matter an I guess rao knows better.

        Cheers,