[Savannah-hackers] submission of RealTime1 - savannah.nongnu.org

From: hubcap
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of RealTime1 - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 11:43:13 -0400

Mark Bucciarelli <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: other
Other License: Python 2.0.1 and higher.

Quoting from http://www.python.org/doc/Copyright.html:

More recent PSF releases, in particular 2.0.1, 2.1.1, and all releases since
then, are GPL-compatible.

[Note to Admin: ARGHH!  I read the "Do not click back button after this point
below" and thought that meant I could click it before this point.  WRONG.  So I
think I just created two project records--realtime and realtime1.  If you
approve my entry, I would like "realtime", please.  Sorry for the screwup.]
Package: RealTime1
System name: realtime1
Type: non-GNU

The purpose of this free software project is to provide an office calendar
solution that is easy to install and use.  It will allow people to store their
appointments in a central database, to share their calendars with other users,
and import and export to Palm Pilot and Microsoft Outlook.

This project also has some political / business goals.  It is being funded by
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Massachusetts and will be a demonstration project
that may lead to larger grants to fund more free software development.  The
idea is that you pay the programmer as you pay a lawyer or an accountant--for
their services.  Once the program is built, it is freely distributed amoung
hundreds of interested organizations.

It is currently at an alpha release.  I wanted to license it with the GPL, but
I think I may need to use the Python license because of the libraries I am
depending on.  It uses NSIS to create a one-click installer for Windows (the
initial target market) but will install on any platform that supports Python
2.2.

There are many of similar applications out there.  The things that distinguish
this one are: (1) we have money to pay a graphic designer, so the interface
will have colors that match :)  (2) it will be a simple install on any
platform, (3) it will provide a one-click installer for windows that will help
wean users of their proprietary calendar application.

Other Software Required:
medusa - asynch http server
quixote - pythonic web devel. framework
kirbybase - file-based db (for now)

Other Comments:
[See my note to admin in licensing section.  I messed up while registering this
project and would like the name to be realtime, not realtime1.]

Just a note on my other savannah project: reakt.  I'm not sure which way to go
with it, as I have found two other projects that provide similar functionality
and are libre.

http://crm-ctt.sourceforge.net/
relata

(although relata is closing up their source.)

I can either: (1) upload the last relata GPL stuff or (2) work on my own
version that fits in with realtime.

There's a possiblity that the latter option may be funded.  Just wanted to let
you know I haven't forgotten about it.  :)

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/