[Savannah-hackers] submission of Python Web Toolkit - savannah.nongnu.or

From: xevol
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Python Web Toolkit - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:21:25 -0400

David Snopek <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Python Web Toolkit
System name: pyweb
Type: non-GNU

I am working on Python code for building webpages.  This is centered arround an
HTML preprocessor called Pyml which I like to describe as "the PHP of Python".
It allows you to mix HTML and Python code in the same way PHP and ASP (the
Microsoft product) do: inside of <?... ?> tags.  For example:

<HTML>
<HEAD> <TITLE> Test </TITLE> </HEAD>
<BODY>
Python <?py import sys; print sys.version ?>
</BODY>
</HTML>

I have written a CGI interpreter and an Apache module (using mod_python) to
interpret these Pyml scripts.  I am also working on implementing a library of
functionality that PHP has builtin such as session management and file
uploading.  It provides a number of advantages over PHP:

 - Python (is a real language, PHP is C-like toy ;-)
 - Pyml can be compiled into Python byte-code. (++fast)
 - Using the Apache module you can have data that is persistant (in memory)
between page views. (++fast)
 - Using the Apache module the Pyml byte-code can be (not always preferable)
cached in memory between page views. (++fast)

There is also some code that isn't dependant on Pyml (but can be used in it)
that performs useful web page functions such object oriented page-building.

Other Software Required:
Required: Python 2.2
Optional: Apache, mod_python (www.modpython.org)

Other Comments: