[Savannah-hackers] submission of gtk-gnutella - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Raphael . Manfredi
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of gtk-gnutella - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:18:13 -0400

Raphael Manfredi <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: gtk-gnutella
System name: gtk-gnutella
Type: non-GNU

gtk-gnutella is a Gnutella client for Unix systems.

Gnutella is an open file-sharing protocol defined by various vendors.  I am a
"member" of this protocol definition "comittee", which is lousely defined.

gtk-gnutella allows users to connect to the Gnutella network, either as a leaf
node or as an Ultrapeer (which requires more bandwidth).  Users can search for
files by keywords, download the files they found and also upload the files they
share to others.

Although the Gnutella protocol uses for search is new, the protocol uses to
exchange files is pure HTTP, with a few extra Gnutella-defined headers that
help identifying files and propagating alternate locations for those files.

gtk-gnutella is released under the GPL and the sources can be downloaded from:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gtk-gnutella/gtk-gnutella-0.92.tar.bz2

gtk-gnutella is written in C.

Other Software Required:
GTK1, Glib
GTK2

Other Comments:
Note that although this is inherently a non-GNU project, it has "gnu" in its
name!  I have no authority to rename the Gnutella network to something else
though...

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/